Monday, June 3, 2013

One Year

Paxton and Piper turned a year old today.  One year.

This year has been full of love, joy, and challenges for me.  At times I have felt like Wonder Woman.  At other times, like an utter failure.  I have had to change the way I parent because two babies sometimes need me at the same time.  I have had to change the way I parent because two babies and a 4-year-old ALL sometimes need me at the same time.  I have learned my heart will break while listening to a baby cry for longer than I'm used to because I just don't have enough hands.  I have learned that the same heart can hold more love than I ever thought possible.  It has been an incredible year.


And these two - they are both so fun and sweet, yet so different.  An example from just today will tell you a little about their personalities.  The scenario:  They were both standing up by the plant stands, trying to grab handfuls of dirt.  Every time their little hands would reach up for the plant, I would sternly say, "NO."  Below are their reactions.

Piper:  After I tell her "no," she tries again; gets another "no."  Tries again; gets another "no."  Times seven.  I finally physically take her away from the plant and give her another toy.  She pretends to play with it, but keeps looking up at me.  I finally "look away" (but still watch her) and she immediately drops the other toy and heads for the plant stand.  Sneaky and defiant.

Paxton:  After I tell him "no," he looks at me, his bottom lip sticks out, he plops onto his bottom, throws his head back, and starts crying.  He cries for a minute, then crawls into my lap and snuggles with me.  Sensitive Mama's Boy.

Gosh, I love them both.


4 comments:

  1. wow! Happy Birthday to Paxton and Piper! You made it through the first year! Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I kind of thought to myself if we could get through the first year, we could do it. I think we'll be fine. :)

      Delete
  2. WOW!!! CONGRATS on making it through the first year! :) Happy Birthday. I would love to sit with you and hear your story of the year. Maybe soon. ;) Love you girl and I am so excited to see you beautiful family grow and prosper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear. I would SO love to get together soon. Love you too!

      Delete