Monday, May 5, 2014

House Stuff

I know some of you may be wondering about the house since I posted that we were putting it on the market.  That was nearly a year ago now.  It's still on the market.  But really - I'm mainly writing this post to get my thoughts together on the matter.

Let's start with these amazing stories - we have two sets of friends who recently put their houses up for sale.  Within a week both families (who don't know each other) had accepted offers.  Less than a week on the market, people!  And here's the thing - while I think that this should make me somewhat frustrated or sad at my own situation, it really and truly doesn't.  I feel like God just gave each of these friends huge confirmations and it was really, really cool to hear that news and I can't wait to see the next steps for both of them.

Then I thought that maybe I am weird because shouldn't these situations only remind me that our house is NOT selling?  But here's what I figured out:  That's not our story.  Those are crazy, ridiculous, super cool stories for those families.  (Just like my pal who earned "epic" status in stories by having her daughter in a wheelchair.  Yeah, still not over that.)  But I have a different story.

If Lucas and I were writing our own story, our house would have sold within a week.  And by now, we would have built and be living in our new home in our new town and Lucas would be driving 5 minutes to work instead of 45 and Xander would be starting Kindergarten in that school district without fear of having to leave mid-year.  But that's not happening.

Because God is writing our story.

I don't typically get very "deep" on this blog - or with others in real life, actually - but this is just the truth of the matter.

And I really am good with it.  For a while I may have been saying, "We'll enjoy this great house while we're still here!" just because it seems like the right thing to say.  But now I mean it.  I really do.  We like this house a lot.  I adore the back yard.  And the play room.  And our bedroom.  And the big windows that look out onto the bird feeders.  I really really like this house.

And I like our church.  And our friends there.  And I like meeting with our small group once a week and having play dates with my nearby friends with kids.  And being able to see my parents and grandparents and siblings fairly often.  We'll miss all of that when we sell this place.  I can't wait to sell, but I am definitely enjoying all of this now.

And honestly, we have prayed and prayed about this, and I do think that we're still doing the right thing by doing - well, nothing right now.  I think God is teaching us things.  I probably don't even know all the things, but I do know that one of them is that our timing is not His timing.  I mean, duh, right?  But it's easier said than done.  I said from the beginning I didn't have any expectations about how long this would take, but I'm learning I really did.  I didn't think we'd still be here for the twins' second birthday.  And we will be.  And I really thought Xander would get to start school in Boone.  And he won't.  But you know what?  It's okay.
It's more than okay - it's good.  God is truly in control.  And I'm good with that.

(Sorry for the lack of pictures.  I'm boring tonight.)

No comments:

Post a Comment