Sunday, July 6, 2014

Long weekend (in a good way)

Our long weekend sort of started on Thursday.  The twins had their 2-year checkup at the pediatrician's office and I was dreading the shots.  To ease the upcoming pain, and because we don't have a Chick-fil-A in our town, but we do in the town of their doctor, we stopped and got some Chicken Minis on the way and ate them in the waiting room.



Much to my surprise and delight, they didn't need shots this time!  Woo hoo!  After the appointment, we ate lunch at Lucas's (and my former) workplace.  We saw lots of people (and missed many) and had a good time at the annual pig pickin'.  No, I did not get a picture of the pig.  Eck.

This calmness lasted about 3 minutes.  Still - it was a nice 3 minutes.

That evening we had small group and I only half-way paid attention to the first half because a cute little girl was staring at me.

Our friends' baby girl, Millie

On Friday - July 4th - we got a phone call around 9am that someone wanted to see our house at 10:30 that morning.  Lucas's initial reaction is always "there's no way we'll clean it in time," but I said we could, and we did!  We went to the park to hang out, expecting it to be packed, and we were the only people there.  It was crazy.






After about half an hour, we saw some people walking up - and it happened to be our good friends the Fitzgeralds with their boys Waylon and Zeke.  After another few minutes another family got there - more our good friends, the Kanagys, with their kids Ivan, Margie, and none other than Ms. Millie, whom I hung out with the night before at small group.





While we were there, something that has been an extremely major event this weekend - and may become an extremely major event in our lives - happened.  Our friend Andrew introduced Xander to soccer.  And the kid is HOOKED.  As I am typing this, 54 minutes after his bedtime, he is playing a soccer game in his room.  Against himself.  With full commentary.  It's awesome.


That evening we decided to go back to the same park and join the Independence Day festivities.  The Kanagys met us there again (this time on purpose) and we had a blast.  I was a little worried about the twins with the fireworks, because a) they're loud and b) they start much later than their usual bedtime.  But they stayed up and they rocked it!  Well, if "rocking it" means either sitting in your daddy's lap shaking all over with a terrified look on your face yet not crying (Piper) or sitting in your mommy's lap covering your ears with your hands that are also gripping your blanket, creating a mask to cover your face yet not crying (Paxton).  I'll take it.


Xander is still playing soccer.  Just so you know.


Okay, where were we?  Saturday.  Saturday morning we had another showing so we went to Walmart for a few things, then to Cook Out at 11am like totally normal people.

No, I wasn't eating.  Yick.

Saturday night we went to Lucas's grandparents' house for a mini-cookout and the kids enjoyed watermelon.











I'm speeding this up because I'm getting tired; can you tell?  Today - Sunday - we went to church then came back here and Xander cleaned "his" soccer ball (which he is actually borrowing from a friend), then after lunch he and I went to Tweetsie for a few rides.  We had a blast, but unfortunately after a couple hours, the combination of my splitting headache and a twist-and-fly ride made me feel super crazy nauseated.  Luckily, we had ridden all of Xander's favorites, so we came home a bit early.  Unluckily, I still felt like hurling so I missed a youth pool party.  Bummer.  But we made up for it at home by eating homemade pizza then going outside to play on the trampoline.  And kick the soccer ball a bit.

Sorry for the poor quality - I had to sneak and take it
Xander took this one himself.  I think it may be the first time he's ever asked to use my phone as a camera.


He was over pictures by this point.

Selfie on the trampoline!  Sort of.

I hope all of you also had a great weekend!

And he's still in his room playing soccer.


No comments:

Post a Comment