Monday, December 15, 2014

Fun at the Grocery Store

We'll start with yesterday - Sunday - which means I didn't take many pictures.  Yesterday I took 4.  Two of the kids eating lunch - the twins wanted to sit in "big" seats (with no booster).  Then I took 2 of Xander's block tower.  Thrilling stuff we do on Sundays, y'all.  (I mean, the Panthers game was actually pretty great and then I had a good time at youth; I just didn't take pictures of that stuff.)

Day 194 - Big kids eating lunch.  (Xander's not sure about this seating arrangement.)

So today.  Today started off good.  Xander got to school on time and we even remembered his teachers' Christmas gifts.  Me and the twins hung out and made messes and played on Xander's top bunk.  They like to throw the comforter over them and pretend it's a tent.

Day 195 - Playing in the "tent"


Then we ate lunch and I put them down for nap.  It was all downhill from there.  They didn't nap.  Who is surprised?  I'll tell you who - my husband.  You know why?  Because they always nap for him.  Always.  When he's here on the weekends they take like 3-hour naps.  I'm not kidding.  I have NO idea why.  It's really frustrating.

But today.  They didn't nap.  And I needed some things from the store for dinner, so I got them out of their (destroyed) room, changed, and we picked Xander up from school then headed to the store.  They were pouting through all of this.

By the time we got to the store, Piper was straight-up screaming.  She did NOT want to go to the store.  And she was letting everyone know it.


They got to sit in the cool cart that looks like a car.  Oh, she didn't care.  She was thrashing and screaming and pitching a FIT.  Huge huge fit.  Paxton was pretty quiet, stuck next to her, and Xander was running around (literally), picking stuff up and asking if we could get it, growing madder each time I said "No."  (Which was every time.)

So I'm pushing around the cart and Piper is just so loud and wiggling and just - I can't even describe how loud and ridiculous it was.  And everyone was hearing her, of course.

Now I have read blogs about moms in grocery stores with an unruly child and there's always some sweet person who gives sympathetic looks or an old lady who says, "You'll miss these times" wistfully or at least a worker who helps her with the bags because she's clearly overwhelmed.

That didn't happen.

Everyone just stared at me.  Not Piper.  Me.  As if I were secretly pinching her from behind the cart.  I smiled and kept moving for the most part.  At one point, though, I was looking (fruitlessly) for something I needed and I had to stop the cart.  Piper took it to a new level and was wiggling and kicking and screaming her head off while Xander ran away from us and I was yelling at him to come back.  Paxton started standing in the cart and trying to get out.  I was pushing Paxton's foot back in, with one eye on Xander, when an older lady came up to me.  I put on a "what can you do?" face and smiled at her.  She did not smile back.  Instead, she pointed at Piper and curtly said, "She needs her nose wiped," then walked off.

I didn't know whether to punch her in the face or give her an overly enthusiastic and very snarky "Thank you!  That's probably what's been wrong this whole time!"  I settled on a blank stare as she walked away and I tried to figure out what would possess someone to say that in that moment.

But we pressed on.  I ended up letting Xander get some ice cream and we checked out and made it to the car.  Piper was still screaming, of course, but now Paxton started in too.

He wanted some of the ice cream

We came home and unloaded everything and I gave them a little snack.  When it was gone, Piper wanted more.  I said no because we would have dinner fairly soon.  She cried some more.  And more.  And more.


It got so bad that Xander had to get out.  He went outside to play.

And, okay.  I had to get away too.  I may have hid in the bathroom for a good 15 minutes.

 

Hey, it worked.  She forgot about crying to me and started playing in Xander's room and had a grand ol' time.  I was able to make dinner - which was delicious - and we had a great evening after that.

I'm sure there's some spiritual truth that I could pull out of this, and for real, I did think back to a lesson we talked about in youth last night to be thankful in all circumstances - even hard stuff.  And I am thankful for these children - with all of their tantrums, even.

But I still wanted to punch that lady in the face.

How's that for random blogging?  Hope you guys had a fun Monday too.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete