Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Zoo Trip

This whole year we've been in "downsize mode," as I call it.  When and if we sell this house, we'll definitely be moving somewhere with a lot less room.  And we're glad!  So when thinking of Christmas gifts, we tried to think of things that weren't "stuff."  I mean, we like stuff.  And we got some stuff.  But we also did a few things like getting Xander a Highlights subscription and giving all of the kids a family membership to the NC Zoo


I grew up going to this zoo and I assumed every zoo was like this one, but as I visited others I found out they're not.  This zoo is super cool.  They have tons of room for the animals and just lots and lots of space.  There's a lot to see.

The last time we went Xander was about the age that the twins are now and he absolutely loved it.  I figured the twins would, too, and I was right.  We went the day after Christmas.  The weather was wonderful, it wasn't too crowded, and we had a great time.  We probably only got around to about 2/3 of the zoo this time, because everyone was getting tired by 3:00, but that's okay, because with our membership, we can go back whenever we want!

Watching the turtles.  The twins LOVED these.  (And look at Xander's hand!)

Alligators


The boys cracked up every time the seals swam by.  They thought it was the funniest thing in the world.

At one point I ran to the restroom and left Lucas with my camera.  Apparently the kids got a little crazy.



Heading to see the elephants.  (Again with Xander protecting Piper.)


There were lion cubs and they were so very cute.


And now for fun - even though it makes my heart hurt a bit - let's do some comparisons.

Xander watching elephants at age 2 1/2
Xander watching elephants at age 6
Paxton watching elephants at age 2 1/2
Rhino and Xander in April 2011
Rhino, Xander, and Piper in December 2014
And all 3

Good grief, time flies.

And despite Xander insisting he wasn't tired, this happened within 10 minutes of getting in the van.


Now the photo of the day, my favorite by far, of most of us eating our packed lunch.  I just wish someone else had been there to take the picture so Lucas could have been in it too.  I love these crazy people.

Day 206 - Zoo Trip lunch!

We can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment