Sunday, April 5, 2015

Easter 2015

Today is Easter.  It has been a good one.


Xander has always questioned things - ALL things - but this year the answers to those questions are starting to click a bit more.  So Easter gets more interesting.  If you really think about it, it's hard to explain to a child why Easter is so important.

So Jesus died.  And we're celebrating?  Oh, so he came back to life.  Kind of creepy, but okay - kind of cool.  So we have a whole holiday over a zombie, basically?  I mean, it's weird.

But he's just starting to understand the BIG deal about it.  That Jesus dying and coming back to life wasn't a random miracle.  It was for him.  For me and his daddy.  For his brother and sister.  Jesus took our place back then.

It's still really big stuff, but I'm glad that he knows the real reason for Easter - even if he doesn't quite fully understand yet.  One day he will.  And so will his brother and sister.

But that said - we still do all the silly fun stuff that goes with Easter - the baskets, the egg hunts, the candy.  And we did all of that at our house, at my parents' house, and at my grandparents' house this year, as usual.  We had so much fun.  Xander was so excited about every single little thing he got (he has thanked me several times throughout the day), Paxton fell in love with egg hunts, and Piper is a champion chocolate-eater.  Here are some pictures.


My kids love watching YouTube channels with people opening toys, and one thing they love about those is when people open Kinder Eggs, which are chocolate eggs with prizes inside.  Unfortunately, they are illegal in the US so we can't buy them here.  So I bought some egg molds and made my own.  All of those pieces in the middle were a part of a giant one I made - about the size of a football.  Inside were some prizes and even a real Kinder Egg for each (which Lucas brought home from London a few months ago).
When we arrived at Big Papa and Mimi's the cousins were happy to see each other

And Paxton was happy to find a seashell!

This is the best shot I got of Xander and his cousin Riley.  No one was in a picture-taking mood, as you will continue to see.
Okay, so Piper was doing pretty well.  She was proud of her new princess dress that her Grandy bought her

Lucas and I both took advantage of her good mood to get a picture with her

Xander didn't like the sun in his eyes.  Paxton was crying at this point, so no parent/child pictures for him.

And this is the best shot of all the cousins.  I think it's safe to say Kate was the only one wanting to pose for a picture.

I'm surprised we even got a picture of Paxton's face during the sibling session.  It didn't go so well.

I think Lucas said something funny here, which Piper enjoyed.  Xander is wondering when this will be over, and Paxton is answering that question - um, NOW.
At least Lucas and I were willing subjects.  Should have cropped this one, though.

And after about 38 takes, this is the best shot of the 5 of us.  Yep, this one.  Ah well.  I'll take what I can get.  (Xander just looked at this and said, "That isn't very good.  Look at me and Daddy.  The sun was SO bright!")
After a clothing change, we were ready for an egg hunt

I yelled at both of them, but Piper was too busy to look at me.  Oh, and check out Paxton's sweet Batman shirt with the cape.  He wants to wear a Batman shirt pretty much every day, and he has grown out of the short-sleeved one he wore last year.  So I got him this one.  And then my mom got him the exact same shirt.  So now while one is dirty, he'll have another to wear.  I think we'll be seeing a LOT of this shirt this spring and summer.


My nephew got this Ninja Turtle mask (and a sword) for Easter and pretty much wore this all day.  He's so awesome.

This was the point that Paxton realized there was candy in the eggs.

Time for the big kids!

I got no good shots of any of the big kids' faces because they were way too intense about finding eggs.  But I love this one!

That's it for today.  I didn't take out my camera at my grandparents' house.  I did take a few on my phone, so I'll check those out and post any that are superb.  Obviously there will be several.

So - I've just been ignoring the fact that I haven't blogged in a month.  The thing is - I don't know how much I want to keep doing with this.  I really started it because I missed writing.  But it really is just a place I post pictures and I don't do much writing at all.  It's not because I don't have thoughts, I'm just wary of putting them out there, I guess.  I don't really enjoy showing a bunch of emotion or being vulnerable at any point, but much less in a public forum, and I feel like you really have to do that to write well.  I just can't pull the trigger from turning this from an online photo album to a journal.  Plus, it really bummed me out when I screwed up the design and I don't have the time nor desire to learn how to design cool blogs just to update mine.

So the decision now is - am I okay with having a mediocre online photo album?  I don't know.  I've kind of enjoyed my month "off," but I've missed it a little too.  I like the way it forces me or organize my pictures, for one thing.  I enjoy organization, despite the constant chaos of my home.  And I know there are friends and family that like staying updated on the kids.  I'm still pondering.  For now, I guess I'll post when I want to.  And I won't when I don't.  It's my blog, after all.

But for now - thanks for checking back in.  Hope you had a wonderful Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment